Latest News from Flightline

Can I use my UK driving licence in Europe after Brexit?

3rd June 2019

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 31 October 2019 you will need extra documentation in the EU and EEA.

Here is the latest up-to-date government information about driving in the EU after Brexit.

Driving Licence and International Driving Permits

  • You will need your UK driving licence to drive in an EU or EEA country.
  • You may need one or more international driving permits (IDPs), depending on which country you’re going to or through.
  • If you have a UK licence you will not need an IDP to drive when visiting Ireland.

Insurance for your vehicle, caravan or trailer

  • You will need to carry a motor insurance green card when driving in the EU and EEA.
  • Contact your vehicle insurance provider 1 month before you travel to get green cards for your vehicle, caravan or trailer.

You’ll need multiple green cards if:

  • you have fleet insurance – you’ll need a green card for each vehicle
  • your vehicle is towing a trailer or caravan – you’ll need one for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer / caravan (you need separate trailer insurance in some countries)
  • you have 2 policies covering the duration of your trip, for example, if your policy renews during the journey

Vehicle registration documents

If you’re taking your vehicle to the EU for less than 12 months, you should carry one of the following documents with you:

Trailer registration

  • You will still need to register some commercial and non-commercial trailers before towing them to or through most EU and EEA countries.

GB stickers and number plates

  • You should display a GB sticker on the rear of your vehicle and trailer, even if you currently have a number plate which includes the GB identifier.
  • You will need a GB sticker even if you have a number plate with the Euro symbol and Great Britain national identifier.

What to do if you’re involved in a road accident

  • You might need to bring a claim against either the driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA country where the accident happened. This will vary by insurance company. You might have to make your claim in the local language.
  • You might not get compensation if the accident is caused by an uninsured driver or if the driver cannot be traced. This will vary from country to country.

Please refer back to the government website here on a regular basis to check for changes.


« Back