UK Rail Services: RMT Union announced proposed industrial action affecting First Great Western services
7th July 2015
Business Travel Alert: RMT Union has announced proposed industrial action on First Great Western rail services starting Thursday, 9 July to start of service Saturday 11 July 2015. Minor alterations to some First Great Western rail services are expected to take place on Wednesday 08 July from 18.00. The proposed industrial action is a result of on-going disputes between the RMT trade union and the rail operating company First Great Western.
If the proposed strike goes ahead several First Great Western routes will be severely affected, including:
London Thames Valley
- Hourly rail services will run between Reading and Gatwick as well as between Reading and Basingstoke.
- Rail services between Maidenhead and Marlow will terminate at Bourne End
- Oxford, Reading, London fast services are planned to be operated by turbo trains
- One train per hour will run between London Paddington and Bristol Temple Meads, extending to Weston-Super-Mare and Taunton during the peak.
- A train every two hours will operate between Cardiff and Portsmouth, between Bristol Parkway and Salisbury as well as between Bristol Temple Meads and Gloucester.
- One train an hour will run between London Paddington and Cardiff via Bristol Parkway. Services will extend to Swansea only in the peak.
South & North Cotswolds
- One train per morning and evening peak will run between Cheltenham Spa and London Paddington as well as Hereford/Worcester and London Paddington.
Devon and Cornwall
One train every two hours will run between:
- London Paddington and Plymouth
- Penzance and Plymouth
- Exeter and Exmouth
- Exeter and Paignton
One train per morning and evening peak will run between:
- Barnstaple and Exeter
- Plymouth a Gunnislake
The Night Riviera sleeper service is cancelled on Wednesday 8 July and Thursday 9 July, but the service will operate on Friday 10 July 2015.
Cancelled branch line services currently include rail services between:
- Severn Beach and Bristol Temple Meads rail services
- Weymouth and Westbury
- Swindon and Westbury via Melksham
- Looe and Liskeard
- Newquay and Par
- Falmouth and Truro
- Greenford and Paddington
As First Great Western rail services will be running on a greatly reduced service, we advise travellers with tickets for the affected dates to either travel on Wednesday 8 July or Saturday 11 July, if possible. However, this is subject to any travel restrictions that would normally apply to any First Great Western ticket. Further details about the options affected travellers can choose from based upon the type of ticket held, can be found on https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/strike#
The First Great Western offers travellers who choose not to travel the option of a full rail ticket refund.
For further assistance or to learn more about our business rail travel solutions, please speak to one of our Rail-Line business travel agents team and call +44 (0) 1844 299 750 or enquire online.